Whether you have kids, guests or a habit of tripping, these tips can help you stay upright.
Accidental falls account for nearly 9 million emergency room visits per year. And while some falls result in a sprained wrist or a few stitches, others can be fatal. The good news is that falls can be prevented with simple precautionary measures.
While everyone is capable of falling, people under 5 and over 70 are at greatest risk—and stairs, bathrooms and kitchens are the most frequent location for falls. Apply a critical eye to your home to assess what could be a potential hazard for these members of your family and your visitors. Here are just a few ways to start making your home safer today:
STAIRS More than three-quarters of home falls occur on the stairs—and 80 percent of stair falls occur on stairs with five or fewer steps. To make stairs safer:
- Make sure stairs are well lit at the top and bottom.
- Use skid-resistant treads or contrasting tape on non-carpeted stairs.
- Make sure carpeting is firmly attached to stairs.
- Avoid using throw rugs at the top or bottom of the stairs.
- Install handrails on both sides of the stairs.
- Do not use the stairs to store items.
- If you have small children, install safety gates at the top and bottom of the stairs.
- Use rubber mats or non-slip strips in all tubs and showers.
- Use bath mats with rubber backing.
- Keep the floor free of water and spills.
- Install a nightlight to help with nighttime navigation.
- Install grab bars or handholds around the tub and toilet to provide extra support.
- Clean up spills immediately.
- Use a sturdy step stool to reach high spots.
- Always use the waist and center restraints in high chairs and infant seats.
- Store children’s snacks in lower locations to prevent climbing.
- Push chairs and stools into the counter and table to prevent tripping.
- 9 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs (apartmenttherapy.com)
- The Stairs (curingthebigc.wordpress.com)
- Onsales Dean Premium Carpet Stair Treads – Panel Kerman 31″W Set of 13 Plus a Matching 5′ Runner (hubcapsokj5.wordpress.com)
- !Washable Non-Skid Carpet Stair Treads – Silvered Sky (13) (washablenonskidcarpetstairtreadsmy8.wordpress.com)
- !Washable Non-Skid Carpet Stair Treads – Cobbler Brown (13) (washablenonskidcarpetstairtreadsmy5.wordpress.com)
- Braid: B.C. on right track to tackle bullying (calgaryherald.com)
- Credibility wins customers (thetrainingpack.wordpress.com)
- How To Prevent Constipation (wutaroj.wordpress.com)
- Quick Look: Rachel Zoe Resort 2014 Collection (thezoereport.com)
- Contractor steps up to help homeowner with roof damage (clickondetroit.com)